Minetest is a free, open-source infinite-world block sandbox game and game engine inspired by Minecraft. It is designed to be simple, stable, portable, and lightweight enough to run on fairly old hardware.
- Walk around, dig and build in an infinite voxel world, and craft stuff from raw materials to help you along the way.
- Simplistic Modding API that supports many kinds of additions and modifications to the game.
- Multiplayer support for tens of players, via servers hosted by users.
- Voxel based lighting with gameplay consequences (light caves and buildings with torches)
- Almost infinite world and a beautiful map generator.
- Runs natively on Windows, Linux, OS X and FreeBSD.
- Supports multiple languages, translated by the community.
So far, the latest release is available in the default repositories of Ubuntu 14.04. So just search for and install minetest in Ubuntu Software Center, or click the link below to launch it: