Inkscape, a free and open-source vector graphics editor, has reached the 0.92 release a few days ago with exciting new features.
The Inkscape project announces a new version 0.92 of its popular vector drawing software. New features include mesh gradients, improved SVG2 and CSS3 support, new path effects, interactive smoothing for the pencil tool, a new Object dialog for directly managing all drawing elements, and much more. Infrastructural changes are also under way, including a switch to CMake from the venerable Autotools build system.
New features in Inkscape 0.92:
- Mesh gradients – a powerful tool enabling artists to more easily create photo-realistic drawings
- improved SVG2 and CSS3 support
- Live Path Effects
- interactive smoothing for the pencil tool
- a new Object dialog for directly managing all drawing elements
- default resolution changed from 90dpi to 96dpi
- change to CMake build system.
- and much more. See here for details.
How to Install Inkscape 0.92 in Ubuntu 16.04:
Inkscape offers an official Ubuntu PPA,
at the moment now it contains version 0.92 for Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04.
Run following commands one by one in terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) to get it from PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install inkscape
Inkscape 0.92 now is also available as SNAP package, and below is how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04 and higher:
1. First if you have an old version installed, remove it via Ubuntu Software or use the command below to avoid conflict:
sudo apt remove inkscape && sudo apt autoremove
2. Install snapd if it’s not yet installed via command:
sudo apt install snapd
3. And finally download & install the inkscape package via command:
sudo snap install inkscape
The commands in step 2 and 3 can be combined with ‘&&’, so it looks like:
Once installed, launch the software from Unity Dash / App Launcher and enjoy!
Uninstall Inkscape snap package:
To remove the snap package of Inkscape, either use Ubuntu Software App or run the command below in terminal:
sudo snap remove inkscape