MPV 0.29.1, an open-source media player forked from MPlayer and mplayer2, was released a day ago with many bug-fixes and minor enhancements.
MPV 0.29.1 adds a new command option –cocoa-cb-sw-renderer to control whether or not to fall back on software rendering on macOS.
And the new release also includes following changes:
- Fix for A-V drift on seeking.
- Fixes to remove spam during pausing and end-of-file.
- Fix for mpv attempting to connect to non-standard devices such as MIDI.
- Drop support for Apple’s bundled OpenAL due to lack of features to successfully build.
- Fix for audio buffer length calculation.
- Fix EDL playback of certain DASH streams.
- Mark v4l streams as not seekable.
- Fix for gapless playback from raw audio input.
- Fix to enable video output with devices without a video overlay plane.
- Fix for crashes in case of failure to write to output.
- Fix for encoding when utilizing lavfi-complex.
- Fix to strip HDR peak metadata if attached to SDR video
- Some fixes and improvements to Mac OS.
- Fix for partial writes to buffers.
- Fix hang when an out-of-bound seek happens.
- Fix for crashes due to libsmbclient and threading
- Fix for corruption when multiple compute shaders override each others’ block sizes.
- Always load “ytdl://” URLs with ytdl_hook first.
- Fix audio streams not being picked up for some sites.
How to Install the Latest MPV in Ubuntu 18.04:
There’s a PPA repository contains the most recent MPV package (for Ubuntu 18.04 so far).
As usual, MPV 0.29.1 package will be published through the PPA in a few days. At that time, you can run following steps to add the PPA and install the media player.
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) from the software launcher. Paste the command and run to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests
Type your user password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Then you can install MPV either via Synaptic package manager or by running command:
sudo apt install mpv
If an old release exists in your system, upgrade MPV via Software Updater:
To remove MPV media player, run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove mpv
To remove the PPA repository, open Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.