Quod Libet, a lightweight GTK+ audio player, reached the 3.9 release a few days. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04, and derivatives.
Quod Libet is a GTK+-based audio player written in Python, using the Mutagen tagging library. It scales to libraries with tens of thousands of songs. It also supports most of the features you’d expect from a modern media player: Unicode support, advanced tag editing, Replay Gain, podcasts & Internet radio, album art support and all major audio formats.
Quod Libet was released with some dependency changes, a lot of fixes and minor new features:
- Allow resizing of panes in PanedBrowser
- Add UI for plugin type filtering
- Add accelerators for “Open Browser” Menu
- Add –start-hidden and remove visibility restoring from the tray icon
- Allow != operator in search
- And more, see the changelog for details.
How to Install Quod Libet 3.9 via PPA in Ubuntu:
The official Quod Libet PPA has built the packages for Ubuntu 16.04 and higher.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lazka/ppa
Type in password (no visual feedback) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. Then you can upgrade Quod Libet from an existing release via Software Updater:
Or just run command to check updates and install the player:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install quodlibet
To remove the PPA, go to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.
To remove the player, use your system package manager or simply run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove quodlibet && sudo apt autoremove