First of all you need to connect to your Ubuntu laptop to a wired network, disable Wifi, and then do following steps:
1. Go to top-right corner network applet, select Edit Connections from drop-down menu.
In pop-up window, click the Add button.
2. Then choose Wi-Fi in the next ‘choose a connection type dialog’.
3. Now in the new created WiFi hotspot, do:
- In Wi-Fi tab, type in Connection name, SSID, and choose mode HotSpot.
- In Wi-Fi security tab, choose an encrypted type and set a password.
- In IPv4 Settings tab, select mode “Share to other computers”
4. After saved the changes, enable Wi-Fi in the network menu, and it should automatically connected to this hotspot.
If not, select ‘Connect to Hidden Wi-Fi Network’ from network menu, and choose the new created hotspot from drop-down menu:
5. Finally your network menu will look like:
On you mobile phone or other devices, select connect to this Wi-Fi hotspot and enjoy!