The changelog in Firefox 52 includes:
- Added support for WebAssembly.
- Added automatic captive portal detection, for easier access to Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Implemented the Strict Secure Cookies specification.
- Added user warnings for non-secure HTTP pages with logins.
- Enhanced Sync to allow users to send and open tabs from one device to another.
- Removed support for Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) plugins other than Flash. Silverlight, Java, Acrobat and the like are no longer supported.
- Improved experience for downloads
- Removed Battery Status API to reduce fingerprinting of users by trackers
- Various security fixes and other changes.
How to upgrade to Firefox 52 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
For the three Ubuntu LTS, Ubuntu 16.10, and their derivatives, users can easily upgrade to Firefox 52 using Software Updater (or Update Manager):
Don’t see the Firefox updates? Try launching Software & Updates utility and do:
- Select Download from Main server in first tab.
- Under “Updates” tab, check the first two boxes (security and recommended updates)