Simple Screen Recorder is a Linux desktop screen recording application. It’s actually a pretty powerful program. It’s ‘simple’ in the sense that it’s easier to use than ffmpeg/avconv or VLC.
Features of Simple Screen Recorder:
- Qt based user interface
- Faster than VLC and ffmpeg/avconv.
- Records the entire screen or part of it, or records OpenGL applications directly (similar to Fraps on Windows).
- Synchronizes audio and video properly
- Reduces the video frame rate if your computer is too slow.
- Fully multi-threaded: small delays in any of the components will never block the other components, resulting is smoother video and better performance on computers with multiple processors.
- Pause and resume recording at any time (either by clicking a button or by pressing a hotkey).
- Shows statistics during recording (file size, bit rate, total recording time, actual frame rate, …).
- Can show a preview during recording.
- Uses libav/ffmpeg libraries for encoding.
- Can also do live streaming (experimental).
- Sensible default settings: no need to change anything if you don’t want to.
- Tooltips for almost everything.
How to Install Simple Screen Recorder:
The software is now available via SNAP package for Ubuntu 16.04 and higher, although an official PPA is available with the latest packages for Ubuntu 12.04 and higher.
Just search for simplescreenrecorder in Ubuntu Software App and click the install button:
sudo apt install snapd
For command line, simply run following command in terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) to install SSR:
sudo snap install simplescreenrecorder-mardy
Once installed, launch it from Unity Dash, App Launcher just like other applications and enjoy!
How to Update / Remove Simple Screen Recorder:
When a new release is available, run the command below in terminal to keep the software up-to-date:
sudo snap refresh simplescreenrecorder-mardy
To remove the software, either use Ubuntu Software App or run command:
sudo snap remove simplescreenrecorder-mardy