After a short beta phase, we are proud to release KeePassXC 2.3.0.
With this release, we reach another major milestone on our journey to providing you with the best and most secure cross-platform password management tool. KeePassXC 2.3 comes with a lot of new features and bug fixes which our users have been waiting for long enough.
Among the highlights of the release are KDBX 4.0, Argon2 as a new key derivation function, SSH agent integration, a new entry preview panel and an all-new browser plugin, called KeePassXC-Browser, which replaces the old KeePassHTTP-based plugins.
KeePassXC 2.3.0 release highlights:
- Add support for KDBX 4.0, Argon2 and ChaCha20
- Add SSH Agent feature
- Add preview panel with details of the selected entry
- Add more and configurable columns to entry table and allow copying of values by double click
- Deprecate KeePassHTTP
- Add KeePassXC-Browser API as a replacement for KeePassHTTP
- Add support for Steam one-time passwords
- Add support for multiple Auto-Type sequences for a single entry
- Adjust YubiKey HMAC-SHA1 challenge-response key generation for KDBX 4.0
- Replace qHttp with cURL for website icon downloads
- Remove lock file
- Add option to create backup file before saving
- Ask to save a generated password before closing the entry password generator
- Resolve placeholders recursively
- Add Auto-Type button to the toolbar
- Improve window focus handling for Auto-Type dialogs
- Auto-Type dialog and password generator can now be exited with ESC
- Add optional dark tray icon
How to Install KeePassXC 2.3.0 in Ubuntu:
The developer team offers both snap package and PPA repository for all current Ubuntu releases.
- snap, the universal package format runs in sandbox. It works on Ubuntu 16.04 and higher.
- PPA repository, contains traditional deb packages for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 18.04 so far.
Install KeePassXC 2.3.0 via Snap in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 16.04 only, you need to first install snapd by opening terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and running command:
sudo apt-get install snapd snapd-xdg-open
Then you can easily install the snap from Ubuntu Software:
or run command to install the snap:
snap install keepassxc
Install KeePassXC via PPA in Ubuntu:
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T or from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add KeePassXC PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Then install KeePassXC either via Synaptic package manager or by running commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install keepassxc
You can remove the PPA repository using Software & Updates utility under ‘Other Software’ tab.
To remove the password manager, run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove keepassxc