JetBrains PyCharm IDE has reached 2017.2.2 release more than a week ago. Now you can easily install it in Ubuntu 16.04 and/or Ubuntu 17.04 via PPA.
PyCharm 2017.2.2 fixed following bugs:
- An issue in the creation of Angular CLI projects
- Code insight and inspection fixes: “method may be static” issues, and misidentification of Python 3.7
- Django: Cache conflict with Jinja template project, and Ctrl+Click on widget templates
- Docker: Docker Compose environment variable issues
- And much more, check out the release notes for details
How to Install PyCharm 2017.2.2 Community in Ubuntu:
The Getdeb repository offers the community version of PyCharm 2017.2.2 for both Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 17.04.
Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or from app launcher, and run following commands one by one:
1. Add the Getdeb repository via command:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'
For Linux Mint 18.x, replace $(lsb_release -sc) in the code with xenial, and type in your password when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Download and install the repository key:
wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
3. Finally check updates and install PyCharm via commands:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install pycharm
Once installed, launch it from your application launcher and enjoy!
How to Install PyCharm 2017.2.2 Professional in Ubuntu:
For the professional version, you can use this unofficial PPA. Though there’s only software package for Ubuntu 17.04, it also works on Ubuntu 16.04.
1. Open terminal and run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:viktor-krivak/pycharm
2. Then check updates and install PyCharm Professional:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install pycharm-professional
For Ubuntu 16.04, download the ‘pycharm-professional_2017.2.2-1~zesty_amd64.deb’ package directly from HERE.
To remove PyCharm IDE, open terminal and run following command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove pycharm pycharm-professional
To remove either PPA repository, launch Software & Updates utility and navigate to Other Software tab.