The new Wine development release has reached the 2.14 release days ago with new features and a total of 18 bug-fixes.
The official repository has made the binary packages for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, and their derivatives.
What’s New in Wine 2.14:
- Mono engine updated with some bug fixes.
- C++ calling convention workarounds in the IDL compiler.
- Z-order support in the Android graphics driver.
- Scalable mouse cursors on macOS.
- Various bug fixes affect Dead by Daylight, CHM viewer, Root Double, iMesh 10, The Witcher 3, Star Wars, and more.
How to Install Wine 2.14 in Ubuntu:
Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app launcher. When it opens, do following steps to add Wine repository and install wine 2.14:
1. Add the repository via command:
sudo apt-add-repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/'
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing due to security reason) when it prompts and hit Enter.
For Linux Mint 18.x, run following command instead:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
2. Add the keyring via command:
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key && sudo apt-key add Release.key
3. Finally check updates and install wine 2.14:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
To remove the wine development release, run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove winehq-devel
And remove the wine repository via Software & Updates utility under Other Software tab.