RSS Guard, a simple open-source (yet powerful) feed reader, reached the new 3.4.1 release a few days ago with great new features and various bug fixes.
New features in RSS Guard 3.4.1:
- Toolbar editor can reset toolbars.
- Toolbar editor now uses iconified tool buttons.
- Double click on feed or recycle bin items in feeds list now opens all messages of the item in newspaper mode.
- Columns in message list can be hidden/shown/reordered with context menu.
- Auto-update notification is now switchable.
- Messages which are not removed or restored are not instantly deleted from list, they are striked-through instead. This is more resource friendly.
- Message list is now not reloaded when doing batch message operations.
- Message list SQL queries are now fully adjustable. This will allow for integration of labels functionality in the future.
- Auto-update status of feeds is now more general and complete.
- Display feed title in list of messages.
- Displayed feeds can now be sorted by multiple columns. Do you want to sort by author, and THEN by title? Simply click first “Title” column, then on “Author” column. If you hold CTRL during sorting, the sort is done in reverse column order.
And there are some bug-fixes and a few other changes, see HERE for details.
How to Install RSS Guard 3.4.1 in Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04:
The getdeb repository has made the binary packages for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, and their derivatives. Do following steps to add the repository and install RSS Guard:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for ‘terminal’ from app launcher, when it opens, run command to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'
Replace $(lsb_release -sc) in the code with xenial for Linux Mint 18.x, and type in your password when it prompts.
2. Download and install the keyring via command:
wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
3. Finally install rssguard either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running following commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rssguard
Uninstall RSS Guard
To uninstall the feed reader, either use Synaptic Package Manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove rssguard
And the GetDeb repository can be removed via Software & Updates utility under Other Software tab.