BeeBEEP, an open-source, cross-platform, peer to peer lan messenger, has reached the 4.0.0 release a few days ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, Linux Mint 18, and derivatives.
With BeeBEEP, you can talk and send files with all your friends inside a local area network such of an office, home or internet cafe without a server.
- BeeBEEP is free and always will be.
- Supports for Windows, MacOSX, Linux, OS/2 and eComStation.
- encryption based on Rijndael Algorithm (AES).
- chat with all people connected, group or single user.
- Groups: create your favorite group of people.
- P2P: send or share your files and folders (also by drag and drop).
- Offline messages: messages will be delivered to offline users when they will be online.
- Message History: all messages can be saved.
And the latest BeeBEEP 4.0.0 comes with following changes:
- Redesigned user interface.
- Group all the main options in the Settings menu.
- Added status description option in user list
- Added status tooltip on the user’s avatar/icon
- Added a check and an alert on same nickname/account of the connecting users
- Added “DisablePrivateChats” option on beebeep.rc file
- Added “DisableFileSharing” option on beebeep.rc file
- Chats are now always opened in separate window (single or multi)
- Fixed bug on leave a group chat
- Removed game plugin interface
- Added Workgroups interface in Settings/Users menu
- Users can be also recognized by their hash
- Change local user option added in Settings/OnConnection menu
- Message are now sent with UTC timestamp and converted to local time when received
- Fixed save of the dictionary selected
- Hunspell library updated to version 1.6.1
- Added option to select custom icons and emoticons
- Automatic disconnection on system in sleep mode and connection on system wake up (only for windows and macosx)
How to Install BeeBEEP in Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app launcher, when it opens, run command to add the GetDeb repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'
For Linux Mint, enable the GetDeb repository from Software Sources -> Additional Repositories.
2. Then setup the repository keyring via command:
wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
3. Finally check updates and install BeeBEEP via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install beebeep
To remove the BeeBEEP secure lan messenger, simply run following command in terminal:
sudo apt remove beebeep && sudo apt autoremove
And remove the GetDeb repository by going to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.