The digiKam photo management software 5.5.0 was released earlier today with several improvements in database interface.
According to the release note, digiKam 5.5.0 features:
- threads management improvements to prevent CPU overload.
- improvements to the similarity tool
- a garbage collection for the digiKam databases.
- the database shrinking support for SQLite
- enhancements in the batch queue manager Watermark tool.
- database patch: ability to ignore some kind of directories while scanning collections
- Improved face management and digiKam handbook
- This new digiKam version also includes latest libraw 0.18.2
Download / Install digiKam 5.5.0 in Ubuntu:
The Appimage packages are available for download in the link below:
Make the Appimage file executable (sorry for the old pic.), then right-click and click Run the file to launch digiKam 5.
Don’t like the appimage? You can also install the most recent digiKam via a third-party PPA repository:
1. To add the PPA, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:philip5/extra
Type your password when it prompts and hit enter.
2. If you have a previous release installed, now launch Software Updater and upgrade digiKam.
Or run commands in terminal one by one to check updates and install digiKam 5.5:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install digikam5
To remove digiKam 5.x, run following command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove digikam5 && sudo apt-get autoremove
And remove the PPA by going to Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.