The KDE community announced the release of Plasma Desktop 5.8 a few hours ago as its first LTS (Long-Term Support) edition.
Tuesday, 4 October 2016. Today KDE releases its first Long Term Support edition of its flagship desktop software, Plasma. This marks the point where the developers and designers are happy to recommend Plasma for the widest possible audience be they enterprise or non-techy home users. If you tried a KDE desktop previously and have moved away, now is the time to re-assess, Plasma is simple by default, powerful when needed.
KDE Plasma 5.8 Features:
- A new Login and lock screen. Plasma wallpaper plugins can now be shown on the lock screen.
- Support for right-to-left written languages
- Simplified global shortcuts, global shortcuts can now be configured to jump to specific tasks within an application.
- Many bug-fixes in multi-screen support
- New default fonts: Google Noto font, monospace font.
- See the release note for more details.
And see the video on Youtube:
Download / Install KDE Plasma 5.8:
Plasma 5.8 source code is available for download at the link below: