SuperTux, an open-source Super Mario like 2D-Jump-‘n’-Run game, has reached version 0.5.0, a new stable release after less than a year of development.
The most prominent change for SuperTux 0.5.0 is a new in-game level editor which allows you to create levels and worldmaps on-the-fly from within SuperTux itself.
SuperTux 0.5.0 features:
- In-game level editor
- Improved levels in Antarctica and Forest Island
- Language packs are fixed
- Engine performance improvements
- Extended the scripting API: gradients are now scriptable
- Added a few more tiles and music
- New console commands and command line options (related to the editor)
- Various other bugfixes of issues reported since the v0.4.0 release
- And more (minor) improvements and changes
How to install SuperTux 0.5.0 in Ubuntu 16.04, or Ubuntu 14.04:
Linux binaries are available via OBS, you can download the ‘supertux2_xxx_amd64/i386.deb‘ package from the links below:
Grab the package matches your OS and click install the .deb via Ubuntu Software.
Add SuperTux repository:
To be able to receive future updates via Software Updater utility along with other system updates, you can add the OBS repository via following steps:
1. For Ubuntu 16.04, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the repo:
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/maths22:/SuperTux/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/supertux2.list"
For Ubuntu 14.04, use the command below instead:
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/maths22:/SuperTux/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/supertux2.list"
2. Download the key so that you system will trust the repository updates:
For Ubuntu 14.04, replace xUbuntu_16.04 in the code via xUbuntu_14.04.
And install it after downloading:
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
3. (Optional) To install SuperTux2 for the first time, run command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install supertux2
Once a new release is out, you'll be able to upgrade the game via Software Updater.
In addition, to remove the repository, simply launch Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.