The latest development Wine 1.9.18 has been released today for running Windows Apps/Games in Linux and other OS. The wine 1.9 release is the development series for the next stable 2.0 release.
What’s new in Wine 1.9.18:
- Support for multiple kernel drivers in a single process.
- More WebServices reader support.
- Various improvements in joystick support.
- Some more work towards the Direct3D command stream.
- GDI performance improvements.
- Improved IME window handling.
- Compatibility fixes in the clipboard support.
As usual, a total of 26 bugs has been fixed in this release. See the announcement for details.
How to install Wine 1.9.18 in Ubuntu:
In addition, while the official build lacks some Ubuntu integration, Rico Tzschichholz provides the latest unofficial builds of both Wine 1.8 stable and Wine 1.9 for Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 14.04.
To add the PPA:
First remove the official PPA via Software & Updates utility in Other Software tab. Then open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/unstable && sudo apt update
Then install wine 1.9.18 via command:
sudo apt install wine1.9
Or you can install the stable wine 1.8.4 via the command below instead:
sudo apt install wine1.8