Terminix is a tiling terminal emulator for Linux using GTK+ 3. It allows splitting terminals horizontally and vertically, with drag and drop re-arranging terminals, and options to save and restore terminal layouts.
The application uses CSD (i.e. the GTK HeaderBar) though it can be disabled if necessary. Other than Gnome, only Unity has been tested officially though users have had success.
- Layout terminals in any fashion by splitting them horizontally or vertically
- Terminals can be re-arranged using drag and drop both within and between windows
- Terminals can be detached into a new window via drag and drop
- Input can be synchronized between terminals so commands typed in one terminal are replicated to the others
- The grouping of terminals can be saved and loaded from disk
- Terminals support custom titles
- Color schemes are stored in files and custom color schemes can be created by simply creating a new file
- Transparent background
- Background images
- Automatic (triggered) profile switches based on hostname and directory
- Supports notifications when processes are completed out of view. Requires the Fedora notification patches for VTE
How to install Terminix in Ubuntu 16.04:
The Webupd8 Team has made the terminal emulator into PPA, available for Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18.
1. Add PPA
Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/terminix
Type in your password when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Update system package index and install terminix via command:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install terminix
3.(Optional) To remove Terminix terminal emulator, run command:
sudo apt remove terminix && sudo apt autoremove
And the PPA can be removed via Software & Updates utility under Other Software tab.